Tuesday, March 27, 2012

KC Learner 101

Today I was listening to Mayors State of the City address and he said there are millions of Americans that cant read past the 3rd grade.  That really messed me up.  Everyone needs to be able to read!  It's a real thing for some kids, even adults.  When my kids were younger I was was a Youth Friend at the elemetrary school they attended.  Every other week on my lunch break I would go over and help kids with basic math concepts.  That was a long time ago. 

Well, today I contacted the Niles Home for Children.  They have a different program than that of Youth Friends - where volunteers can help with the students. Same concept.  I am going over there to read to a group of kids on my lunch break once a week.   I hope I can make a difference in at least one kids life. 

Parent or not, have you ever done volunteer work at a school?

9 comments:

  1. Good blog, Tonia. We have a similar program here at CMH where we volunteer to go to elementary schools and read. It's very satisfying to know you are helping a child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonia, Good for you for signing up to do that. I was a Youth Friend for several years at my daughters elementary school. I made some special connections with some really wonderful kids. I miss it. I might try to do that again. Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may have inspired me to sign up for the Youth friends program at Longfellow Elementary. My sister teaches there and they appreciate the Youth Friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too have volunteered at my daughter's elementary school. It is very frustrating as a parent to know that kids are being pushed through the school system not having the basic reading and writing skills necessary in life. There are kids in my daughter's 4th grade class that are still learning basic math and are in the 1st grade reading level???? Really???

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did volunteer through my Child Development class in high school. We would visit elementary schools and work with the children one on one. I have heard a lot about this problem lately in the news. I didn't realize how big of a problem it is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was a Youth Friend for about 3 years and it was great! I highly recommend anyone to join the program.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blog. What I want to know, since I'm a Southeastren Conference fan, what was the SEC Comissioner during in KC talking to the Mayor???

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now now, Mayor James was not around when that happened. I do feel your pain. Mayor Kay Barnes fought a hard fight to get downtown up and moving with team work. Then we had the Funk.

    ReplyDelete