Thursday, March 29, 2012

KC elevator conversation

Today I ran into several people that were KC Firefighters.  It was a nice day outside, so I stood around and asked question as one Kansas Citian to another.  I asked them questions like, where there station was, and what were the amenities of their Fire Stations.  Did they think is was fair for some employees to get raises and others not?  One of them told me they they were just looking out for Fire. Did that mean forget about everyone else employed by the City?   I know the City has to cut the budget, but how did they as Fire employees see it as being "fair"?

We all came in City Hall and rode up on the same elevator.  I have to tell you, I wasn't surprised to learn they have some very nice digs.  I do know everybody needs their jobs and pay raises are nice when your company can afford it. However the City is not in that position.  I agree with having services for the community, however, I don't agree with some of the plush things that they have in their station home away from home.  It would be nice to save some tax money they seem to take for granted, and make them pay for their own cable TV and stainless steel kitchen appliances.    Maybe they could save money by using the same furniture for a couple of years. Maybe hold back on the yearly LazyBoy recliner?   It was nice to talk to the KC Firemen that I saw downtown.  If they only knew I knew more than they know I do - they might not have been so friendly to me.

10 comments:

  1. Your passion will make a difference! I think it is great that you heard a need and took immediate action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonia,
    I see your point. Maybe they could make do with less at their stations, but to cut 100 positions? Many people think they just hang out and grill burgers, wash the rig, and wait for a fire. But since Mast is gone, they are our first responders to every accident, every Carbon Monoxide alarm, and every fire. Sometimes there are 3 alarm fires and they pull from other stations, and still have to provide crews to cover their own territory. Some have had to go back to school and get their EMT-Paramedic license. I think the city has asked a lot of the firefighters lately. I really do not feel safe with them cutting their jobs. Yes, cut the cable, cut the fluff at the stations, but do not cut my first responder! I live in the Northland where the response times have hit an all time high. My dad had a heart arrhythmia last year and my mom called me and I made it to her house before the first responders. I think it took them 10 min. Here is an excerpt from an editorial in the KC Star.

    • The department’s ambulances fell short in 2011 of getting to the scene of life-threatening medical emergencies in an average of nine minutes or less at least 90 percent of the time. The agency met that citywide standard 87 percent of the time in responding to 26,000 incidents.

    • The department in 2011 also did not meet a more lenient goal in two of the city’s four ambulance districts — in the Northland and in a large part of south Kansas City. That standard is a nine-minute-or-less response 85 percent of the time.

    • The department’s weak citywide showing in 2011 continued its record of 2010, when it failed to meet the 90 percent response goal in every month after it absorbed the Metropolitan Ambulance Services Trust that April.

    The City Council established the nine-minute mark at that time, partly because national fire and health organizations support goals to help save lives.

    After The Star exposed the department’s initial lackluster performance in early 2011, council members told City Manager Troy Schulte and Dyer to make improvements.

    But the most recent numbers show too little progress has been made.

    The fate of Kansas City’s ambulance service is especially timely now because officials are locked in a battle over a proposed and necessary $7.6 million reduction in the Fire Department budget.

    Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/03/08/3478432/the-stars-editorial-disturbing.html#storylink=cpy

    I'm not trying to bash what you are saying, but I do not feel safe with the amount of jobs they are talking about getting rid of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no one wanted to get ride of the jobs. We All need our jobs. Just change the way they are spending the Fire department money. It might make a difference.

      Delete
  3. Tonia~ Your KC Elevator post was very interesting. I understand the economic realities the city is facing. When there is a large deficit...something has to change. I understand your concern about the fire fighters having nice living quarters when other important priorities are not being addressed as a result of the economic shortfall. However, I politely disagree with the decision to cut 100 fire fighter positions. That is an extreme decision that is going put the community in great danger. In my opinion, that decision should be lit up in flames.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i didnt think anyone wanted to cut their jobs either. Just to change the way they are spending their money. There seems to be a mis use of funds. That in itself could save dollars for the City, and their jobs.

      Delete
  4. I agree with the previous posts. I don't think cutting 100 jobs from the KC fire department would be a good idea either. I do agree with making cuts like cable tv, stainless steel appliances and the yearly LazyBoy recliner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am all for spending money wisely. not for cutting the jobs, just spending the money wisely.

      Delete
  5. I say its time to trim fat from the top not from the people who actually do the work. This is what is wrong with our local politicians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those at the top decided not to get raises, and the rest of the city does. Thats cool!

      Delete
  6. Not sure what the answer is for the budget and know I do not have enough information to make an educated decision on the city budget, would hope the city would find other options beside cutting a 100 fire fighters jobs. The most valuable resource in any operation is the human resource. Not sure what the cost to train a new fire fighter is but i am sure its not cheap.Glad I do not have to make that decision and sure the City will do its best to make the correct choice.

    ReplyDelete